Ready-made science week
26 February 2020Add to My Folder
Original article published 16 February 2009
Inspire your class every day during British Science Week with these fun experiments linked to the theme of ‘Change’!
- Show the class a shiny new copper coin and an older dull and dirty-looking copper coin.
- Place the dull coin in a beaker of pure lemon juice for about five minutes.
- Remove the coin. What has changed?
- The coin is dull because oxygen in the air slowly changes the shiny copper surface to a dull copper oxide. The lemon juice contains a weak acid which reacts with the copper oxide and removes it, changing the surface to shiny copper again.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month
Already a member? Sign in below.
You need to be signed in to place a review.