Number Line: Maths Tools Teachers’ Notes
15 December 2020Add to My Folder
These teachers’ notes can be used in conjunction with the Number Line tool.
Key Stage One
Learning objective: Identify and represent numbers using representations, including the use of a number line.What to do:
- Use the ‘Options’ icon to set the number line at 0-20, showing numbers and marker values but no subdivisions.
- Point out to the child that when you move to the right (forwards) on the number line you will be adding numbers. For example: starting at 1 and jumping on 4 places will take you to 5 since 1 + 4 = 5.
- Ask the child to try some jumps to the right themselves e.g. start at 3 and jump 4 places; start at 2 and jump 5 places; start at 10 and jump 6 places. They should record the jumps they make and where they land (3 + 4 = 7, 2 + 5 = 7, 10 + 6 = 16).
- Point out that when you move to the left (backwards) on the number line you will be subtracting numbers. For example: starting on 8 and jumping back 3 places will land on 5 since 8 − 3 = 5.
- Ask the child to try other jumps to the left e.g. start at 12 and jump back to land on 8, start on 14 and jump back to land on 7, start at 16 and jump back to land on 9. They should again record the jumps they have made e.g. 11 − 5 = 6.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month
Already a member? Sign in below.
You need to be signed in to place a review.