Multiplication Square: Maths Tools Teachers’ Notes
15 December 2020Add to My Folder
Activities for the interactive whiteboard Multiplication Square tool.
Key Stage One
Learning objective: Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 times tables, including recall of odd and even numbers.
What to do
- Ask children to count in twos to 20, horizontally and vertically, highlighting each square on the grid as they go, 2, 4, 6, etc. Elicit they understand that this is the 2 times table and also that these are known as even numbers.
- Ask children to count in fives as far as 50, highlighting each square on the grid as they go, 5, 10, 15, 20 and so on, both horizontally and vertically. This is the 5 times table.
- Ask children to count in tens as far as 100. For example, 10, 20, 30 and so on, again using both horizontal and vertical columns. This is the 10 times table. What do they notice about the end digit each time? Clear the highlighted numbers, naming them aloud each time.
- Play games of ‘All in a Line’. Ask children to complete and highlight the following sequences from the 2 times table. Examples: 2, ?, ?, 8; 8, 10, ?, 14, ?; 20, 18, ?, ?, ?, 10. Go beyond 20 to use larger numbers to reinforce the idea of even numbers. Examples: 30, ?, 34, ?, 38; 52, 50, ?, ?, 44; 76, ?, ?, 82, ?.
- Repeat the game using the 5 times table. Examples: 10, 15, ?, 25, ?; 55, ?, ?, 40, ?.
- Repeat the game using the 10 times table. Examples: 20, 30, ?, ?; 90, ?, 70, ?.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month
Already a member? Sign in below.
You need to be signed in to place a review.