18 July 2017Add to My Folder
original article published 14 July 2016
Beatrix Potter is not only noteworthy for her beautifully illustrated books – she is also an inspirational figure and a great role model for young children. She achieved success as an artist, author, botanist, environmentalist, farmer and business woman. Celebrate her life by trying out the following Beatrix Potter themed activities in your setting. Make sure you spend time delving into the books with the children as well. Beatrix Potter really did produce some unforgettable characters that are certain to capture children’s imaginations.
Beatrix Potter Day
Beatrix Potter was born in July 1866 and lived most of her life in the Lake District in the North-West of England. She wrote and illustrated 28 books full of charming and often mischievous animal characters, many with double identities, who children have been entertained by since Peter Rabbit was first published in 1902.
Tell you children that you are going to have a special day in July to celebrate Beatrix Potter and all the wonderful stories and characters she created. Invite parents and carers to attend and ask them to bring in any copies of her books. Many of the activities in this article will provide ideas for your Beatrix Potter day.
When I grow up
Beatrix Potter was always very determined and when her early attempts to get her stories published were rejected she self-published her first tale of Peter Rabbit. This was seen by the publisher Frederick Warne who decided to offer her a deal after all and subsequently published all her stories.
- Talk to the children about what they would like to do when they grow up.
- Make a list of different jobs that the children’s parents and grandparents are involved in.
- Invite some parents to talk about their work at the Beatrix Potter day.
- Encourage the children to draw a picture of how they look now and another picture of what they’d like to be when they grow up.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - join today!
- Over 2,000 EYFS resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month
Already a member? Sign in below.
You need to be signed in to place a review.