Ready-made Money Week
15 June 2009Add to My Folder
It’s in for a penny, in for a pound with this special week of practical activities on money and finance
My Money Week is running from 29 June to 5 July 2009, and aims to help children learn about how to manage their money and make responsible decisions. For a free primary toolkit visit www.pfeg.org/MyMoney Below are some ideas to help you host your own money week.
Monday: How much?
Oral and mental starter
- Give each child a large card coin. Hand out more bronze coins to Year 1, and more silver coins to Year 2.
- Ask everyone with a 1p coin to stand up, to check coin recognition. Add them up together. Repeat for each coin denomination.
- Put a few real coins in small envelopes, mark each with a letter (see image above), but do not seal. Differentiate the contents for different groups (mixed coins are harder to count).
- Let each child estimate and then count the contents of a few envelopes. Have some spares on each table.
- Can Year 2 children calculate the difference between their estimates and totals? Look for a reduction in the difference as the activity progresses.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month