Ready-made science week
16 February 2009Add to My Folder
Inspire your class during National Science and Engineering Week with these fun experiments linked to the theme of ‘Change’!
- Show the class a shiny new copper coin and an older dull and dirty-looking copper coin.
- Place the dull coin in a beaker of pure lemon juice for about five minutes.
- Remove the coin. What has changed?
- The coin is dull because oxygen in the air slowly changes the shiny copper surface to a dull copper oxide. The lemon juice contains a weak acid which reacts with the copper oxide and removes it, changing the surface to shiny copper again.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month