Philosophy: When we throw something away…
21 July 2008Add to My Folder
... where exactly is ‘away’? Promote philosophical thinking with litter-themed questions
Click here for craft activity ideas using recycled materials.
Philosophical discussion is a great way to encourage children to think about their role in society. By asking them to consider how their behaviour impacts on others in the community, children can develop vital life skills, such as empathy and cooperation. In this article, the topic of ‘litter’ is used to inspire philosophical thinking, both about how children might contribute to wider society, and also what ‘rubbish’ actually is.
- Where exactly is away?
- Can rubbish ever be beautiful?
- When does litter become litter?
- What is litter? What is rubbish?
- Why do some people litter?
- Is it cool to drop litter?
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - subscribe today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!