Cross curricular: In the news
23 June 2008Add to My Folder
Encourage children to interact with the 21st century media and help foster knowledge of both local, national and global current affairs
1. It is worth taking ten minutes each day to explore current affairs. The BBC Newsround website news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews is a good starting point with the ‘Press Pack’ area of the site explaining how a news desk works. A daily news focus might be reinforced with a ‘news quiz’ at the end of the week.
2. Researching a particular event or news story could be part of children’s homework, with an opportunity after the weekend for ‘reporting back’ (an alternative to the ‘diary time’ often used with infant classes).
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - join today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month