Store your resources in your very own folder.

Sign in or sign up today!

Find out more

Teacher’s surgery

Add to My Folder

This content has not been rated yet. (Write a review)

By Dr Hannah Mortimereducational psychologist.

If you suspect a child in your school may be suffering abuse, our guide will help you to support them

Sad child

Child protection

What you need to know

  • Everyone who comes into contact with children on a regular basis has a duty to safeguard and promote their welfare.
  • Each school should have a copy of the local procedures set jointly by the LEA, health service and social services department. They are statutory and must be adhered to.
  • Each school should have arranged staff training in child protection.
  • It is up to each individual to make sure that they are aware of the child protection procedures in that school and the local education authority.
  • Social services involvement has increased since the Children Act 1989 and you might have to work with a social worker, providing information about a child during a child protection enquiry or taking part in a multi-agency assessment.
  • Social services can also provide you with general advice.
  • If you are concerned that a child is being abused, you must refer these concerns to social services or police, usually through the head teacher, SENCO or the designated contact for child protection.
  • Child abuse can take different forms: physical (as in marks, bruises and injuries), sexual (the child may have disclosed some information to you), emotional or neglect (perhaps the child is noticeably failing to thrive.
  • Initial concerns might be what the child has said, unexplained bruises or marks which you notice during PE, inappropriate sexualised behaviour, or sexually- or violently-graphic artwork.
Log in to your account to read

Don't have an account?

Create your FREE Scholastic account