7 February 2010Add to My Folder
Spring cleaning season is here, so dust off those old familiar songs! Try new words to fit with storybook favourites or characters that children create from the dressing up box
Activity songs in this article:
- One finger, one thumb, keep moving
- Here we go round the mulberry bush
- The wise man built his house upon the rock
- Frère Jacques
- She’ll be coming round the mountain
- A pizza hut
1. ‘One finger, one thumb, keep moving’
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Why not encourage each child to come to your setting dressed as their favourite storybook character for World Book Day on 3 March 2011? This is an ideal song to focus everyone on each other’s new persona and to make each child feel special. Begin by sitting in a circle and singing:
Welcome to our circle,
welcome to our circle;
Welcome to our circle
– who can we see today?
Ask the children to identify a character they can recognise and pick one feature about the character that’s extra special – perhaps a hat or a prop. Then carry on singing, for example:
We can see Harry Potter,
we can see Harry Potter;
We can see Harry Potter
– look at his fabulous scar!
Repeat the ‘Welcome to our circle’ while the previous special child picks a new character to sing about.
2. ‘Here we go round the mulberry bush’
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - join today!
- Over 2,000 EYFS resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month