Make your own puppets
18 May 2017Add to My Folder
Rated 5/5 from 1 rating (Write a review)
Original article published on 6 April 2010
Learn how to make five different types of puppets!
Handcrafted puppets are a valuable resource for storytelling and make a great visual aid for rhymes and songs, as demonstrated by these activity ideas:
1. Finger puppets
You can make two types of finger puppet: a simple version from card or one from felt that involves sewing.
What to do (card puppet)
- Draw the character onto card, colour in and decorate.
- Carefully cut the character out.
- Cut a strip of card to create a loop that fits snugly around the child’s index finger.
- Attach the loop to the back of the character.
What to do (felt puppet)
- Cut a rectangle of felt which is long enough and wide enough to wrap around the child’s index finger.
- Fold in half and sew along the top and down the side.
- Attach features with glue or sew into place. (Take care with PVA glue because it can soak in and seep through layers.)
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - subscribe today!
- Over 2,000 early years resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!