Our garden is growing
6 July 2009Add to My Folder
In the second part of the garden makeover, Sue Cowley, Chairperson of Stanton Drew and Pensford Pre-school in Somerset, gives an update on how the build is taking shape
Last month, we planned the area, sorted out the finances and got offers to donate materials for our new garden. Now it’s time for the build to get underway and all hands are on deck…
Planning the build
We divided up our makeover into two days’ work. On day one (Friday), Steve Collins, our garden designer and builder, would carry out the heavy duty parts of the construction, for example, drilling holes, setting posts in concrete and erecting the fencing. On day two (Saturday), there would be a safe site for when the children, parents, staff and other volunteers arrived.
We had various jobs planned for parents and the children, including:
- painting planter boxes before they went into the garden
- painting the fencing and the arch
- moving gravel – this proved very popular with the children
- decorating pebbles with enamel paints for the garden.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - join today!
- Over 2,000 EYFS resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access from just £1.25 per month