Helping you to assess children’ progress
30 October 2008Add to My Folder
Literacy Time PLUS is offering members a brand new set of Progress Record Charts enabling teachers and children to work together to identfy progress in reading and writing
QCA’s Assessing Children’ Progress (APP) programme is now being rolled out in schools across the country.
Based on a set of assessment focuses (AFs), the APP approach aims to improve the quality and reliability of teacher assessment while also making it more manageable for the teacher. It involves teachers stepping back periodically to review children’s ongoing work, and relating their progress to national curriculum levels, using judgements rather than an accumulation of small statements.
The APP programme aims to provide teachers with the skills to:
- look at an overview of performance based on a wide range of evidence, both when reading and writing is taught explicitly and when these skills are used in other subjects or contexts;
- recognise connections between children’s performance in areas such as writing across subjects or reading for pleasure;
- write a detailed profile of what a child can do;
- identify areas to be developed to inform planning;
- assign a national curriculum level from an informed, holistic judgement of each child’s achievement rather than by calculating marks in tests.