New EYFS Framework released
29 March 2012Add to My Folder
A revised framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage has been published, for implementation from September 2012.
On 27 March 2012 the Government published a new version of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework. Sarah Teather, Minister of State for Children and Families, said in an official statement that the changes to the framework demonstrate the Government’s ‘commitment to freeing professionals from bureaucracy to focus on supporting children’.Some of the changes to the EYFS framework include:
- Simplifying the statutory assessment of children’s development at age five.
- Reducing the number of early learning goals from 69 to 17.
- Stronger emphasis on the areas of communication and language; physical; and personal, social and emotional development.
- A new progress check at age two on children’s development. This links with the Healthy Child review carried out by health visitors, so that children get any additional support they need before they start school.
- Changes to ensure that the new framework uses clear language.